A Subversive Christmas
1 day ago
“All religions make me wanna throw up
All religions make me sick
All religions make me wanna throw up
All religions suck
[. . .]
They all claim that they have 'the Answer'
When they don't even know the Question
They're just a bunch of liars
They just want your money
They just want your consciousness”--Dead Kennedys
"Take Travis Mamone for example. Mr. Mamone is a religious liberal who has blogged about his struggles with depression. He affirms homosexuality and finds Marcus Borg somewhat agreeable. It never seems to occur to Travis that his liberalism could be causing or exacerbating his depression."
1) there is no God, certainly not the Christian God.
2) because there is no God there is no given structure to reality and therefore the forms of human social relationships are infinitely flexible.
3) because is no God there is no given, objective morality.
4) Since there are no fixed forms for human social relationships like marriage and the family, we are free to change the definitions of those things to fit our desires.
5) Because there is no God and no transcendence, the meaning of human life must be created by each individual during the short span of his life. The only way to allow each person to create meaning for himself is by removing as many roadblocks as possible to the gratification of desires.
6) Because there is no God, there is no ultimate way to discriminate between desires calling some good and some bad. Therefore, equality and tolerance are the only possible shared values.
5) Human reason is sufficient to guide us in our search for meaning and progress.
6) The history of the world is a story of the movement from the dark days of faith to the bright days of ever-increasing knowledge and corresponding techniques by which humankind bends nature to its will.
7) The destiny of man is to create a near-perfect society here on earth in which all are equally free to gratify their every desire.
"I wish I was more of a man.
Have you ever felt that way?
And if I had to tell you the truth
I’m afraid I’d have to say
That after all I’ve done and failed to do
I feel like less than I was meant to be."
"Some of you, God hates you. Some of you, God is sick of you. God is frustrated with you. God is wearied by you. God has suffered long enough with you. He doesn’t think you’re cute. He doesn’t think it’s funny. He doesn’t think your excuse is meritous [sic]. He doesn’t care if you compare yourself to someone worse than you, He hates them too. God hates, right now, personally, objectively hates some of you."
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16)